+ Reply to Thread

Default Adopting with a history of depression?

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the group and seeking to adopt. Thanks for everyone's contributions to the posts, I have found them to be very helpful and informative.

I have a history of depression. Been on and off medications for many years. I have been off medication for a few months and am fine and my therapist would write a very supportive letter to support myquest to adopt. In the adoption/home study process, do they pull your medical/prescription records?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kara

Hi Kara,
    congratulations on your decision to adopt!

We have just gone through the Home Study process. I believe honesty is your best policy.
    Our Home Study did require a medical check. Basically, our doctor had to fill a form about us. He examined us and looked at our previous records to get all the information he needed. If you try to hide your history from your Social Worker and it comes out through your medical check, it could hurt your project!
    However, they should approve you as an adoptive mom if you can demonstrate that the issue is being well managed. Support from your therapist is great and you should probably get that letter. You will then have to explain to your social worker what you're doing to ensure you remain healthy (therapy, medication, etc) and convice them that the issue is under control. In fact, your social worker should know that your succesfully dealing with this is an indicator that you are resourceful and will not hesitate to get help if you need it (including with raising your child).
    If you're interested, I have posted some hints for the Home Study interviews on my blog: http://international.adoptionblogs.com/

Good luck!

Gen

My husband and I have applied to adopt an "older" child or children through DSS. We both take anti-depressant medicine (the last official study I can find concluded in 2005 and said 54 million Americans do- for one reason or another!). My husband was diagnosed 30+ years ago as bipolar (was untreated at this time) and has adhered to his medication and therapy regimen faithfully since then. He went for evaluation after seeking help from his employers physicians. As a large corporation, they diagnosed him and medically retired him very shortly thereafter. For the 20+ years that I have know him, he's been well-maintained- in the 15 years we've been married--I can honestly say I've never seen an issue. He has been continued on disability and functions well with ADLS. I take meds for depression. I work in a job were I'm very effective, but it is high level/high anxiety. We proactively sought the affirmative documentation from both our physicians- he received a GLOWING recommendation from his current psychiatrist of 16 years! I treat with my GP- and she likewise gave me a thumbs up.
    As soon as our case worker received our file (after our classes and fingerprints etc, I might add!)- she called me and told me this would "weigh heavily against us".
    I work for a large physician group-who knows my husband and I well- both professionally (me) and socially (both). At that point, a letter writing campaign launched for us. By last count they received over 30 letters vouching for us being a safe, loving and effective home. These came from doctors, nurses, social workers, family counselors, and two came from professionals that are former "DSS children".
    We received a letter last Saturday, saying that the response from my doctor was "good". But that they wanted to review my husband's medical records--going back to the 1980s!! The only difference? He is medically retired!
    The problem with that? DSS is NOT a group of medical professionals who are reviewing medical records. Our case worker is not even a social worker! And this is NOT 30 years ago...
    I work in Disability for patients suffering from chronic/terminal illnesses. I'm not an uneducated person. This is discrimination- pure and simple. His psychiatrists information- which is current, we readily supplied them with- should be enough! To top it all off-- his psychiatrist actually treats DSS children and goes to court for them when necessary!
    Currently, I've contacted the director and charged them with investigating why and how this case manager is pushing this- despite being told to "cease and desist".
    I'm curious to hear others thoughts...