KentuckyWho Must Consent:
Consent of Adoptee:
- The mother.
- The father if he is married to the mother or has otherwise established paternity.
- A guardian ad litem must be appointed for a minor parent.
A child 12 years or older must consent to the adoption.When Parental Consent is Not Needed:
When Relinquishment Can Be Signed:
- Has abandoned or failed to support the child.
- Has inflicted serious injury or allowed the child to be sexually abused.
- Has had parental rights to another child terminated.
- Has been adjudicated as mentally disabled.
Consent is invalid if given prior to 72 hours after the child's birth.How Relinquishment Must Be Signed:
A petition for voluntary termination of parental rights shall be filed in the circuit court of the county where petitioner resides.Time for Revocation:
Consent shall become final 20 days after placement approval or 20 days after execution if placement approved prior to signing of the consent.
Glossary of Terms
Legal Considerations in Adoption
Putative Father Registries: What They Are and How To Use Them
Resources for Expectant/Placing ParentsRelinquishment Summaries by State: Index