Biological Fathers' Rights

  • Currently 3.7/5 Stars.
You may use the stars on the left to rate and leave feedback for the current article. No registration is required. Waiting for 5 votes 3.7 of 5 stars (6 votes) — Thanks for your vote

Please fill out the following optional information before submitting your rating:

Lack of attention to biological fathers' rights can have serious consequences, a lesson courts are handing down with more and more frequency. While the Baby Sam case filled the headlines for several years, this certainly wasn't the first case where a father's rights have landed on the front page.

The Baby M Case

In 1996, Baby M was relinquished by her mother and placed with Darrell and Cindy Matthews. Alphonso Andrews, the baby's father, never signed any consent forms and contested the placement. A Pennsylvania State Supreme Court ruling sent a message to adoption agencies and attorneys about failure to get consent from both birth parents. Genesis of Pittsburgh, Inc. failed to get Andrews' approval for the placement and, as a result, custody of Baby M is being decided four years - instead of a matter of days or weeks - after placement, a bittersweet victory for Andrews and a devastating one for the Matthews.

Arguments in the case included comparisons of Andrews' and the Matthews' education and financial stability, which caused one lower court judge to rule initially in favor of the Matthews; however, the higher court found that neither the agency nor the Matthews had proper authority to assume the role of parent. A baby cannot be adopted without the termination or relinquishment of both parents' rights, and Andrews' rights were alive and well.

Andrews is quoted as saying, "They said it was for the best interest of the child. But that is not their child. It is mine. I can't help it that they are unable to have children. That doesn't give them the right to take mine."

Biological Fathers Do Have Rights

A woman making an adoption plan may conceal the pregnancy from the biological father or indicate that the father has no interest in the child when this may not be the case. Unless the father learns of the pregnancy and/or the adoption plan and moves to stop it, the adoption will proceed. While most fathers either agree to an adoption plan or do not contest termination of their parental rights, there are those who want to parent their children, and some are exercising that right.

In September, 1999, the Oklahoma State Supreme Court ruled in favor of Joseph Ferguson, giving him custody of the son he learned about only two days before the adoption agency moved to terminate his parental rights. The baby's mother had never told Ferguson about the pregnancy and placement had been made with a family in another state.

Like Alphonso Andrews in Pennsylvania, Ferguson sympathizes with the couple who planned to adopt his son saying, "I believe they entered the adoption process in good faith, and it's unfortunate that it had to come to this."

Putative Father Registries

If you think you are the father of a child and you want to have a say in whether the child is adopted, you can register with the Putative Father Registry if your state has one, or take other measures to protect your rights. Even if you signed the child's birth certificate and are under 18 or 21 years of age (depending on the state), you can register to make the best effort to protect your rights.
A 'putative father' is a man who may be a child's father, but who was not married to the child's mother before the child was born and has not established the fact that he is the father in a court proceeding. If the child's mother wants to place the child for adoption, the putative father must take steps to show that he is the legal father of the child if he wants to have any say in the adoption. By registering with the Putative Father Registry, a father takes one step toward proving he is the child's father.
(State of Illinois)
However, along with those rights come responsibilities. These can include medical expenses during the pregnancy and support payments. Know your rights and responsibilites. If you do want to register on a putative father registry or sign some other form of paternity recognition form, be sure that you understand how this will affect your future right to parent or obtain custody, as well as the financial responsibilities.

Risk in Adoption

Many states have provisions for a period of time during which a birth parent may change his/her mind about placement after signing relinquishment papers. In those states, agencies and attorneys are obligated to advise adopting parents that this could occur; however in all cases and all states, it is important that agencies and attorneys make every effort to meet with both biological parents to secure proper consent. Cutting corners only increases the risk that the placement will be challenged or overturned.

Adopting parents must also take responsibility for asking the right questions and making sure everyone's rights are being protected. They should know what their state considers grounds for reversal of an adoption (such as coercion) and become proactive in the process of ensuring their adoption is being handled ethically and according to best practices. When adopting parents, in the excitement of seeing their family dreams become a reality, don't ask the hard questions, they could face the enormous heartbreak of reversal of the placement.

Adopting parents: Ask the tough questions. Hold your agency or attorney accountable. Knowing that the placement meets all legal requirements is an important beginning for your new family.

Biological parents: Know your rights, and understand the importance of openness and honesty in making your adoption plan. If parenting is an option for one, that needs to be explored before placement is considered.

It cannot be said often enough: Knowledge empowers! When adopting parents are comfortable with the legalities of birth parent consent, they can focus their energies on parenting. And when biological parents make informed decisions, the best interest of the child will be better served. Both sets of parents must do their best - even in this time of roller-coaster emotions, to ensure ethical and legal practices are observed. Knowledge makes it possible.

Recommended Reading

Visitor Comments (16)
Adding your comments contributes to the adoption community. Please keep all comments on topic and civil. Visitors are invited to comment and vote for or flag comments based on appropriateness and helpfulness. All comments must adhere to our commenting rules and are subject to moderation.
Stephen Morgan - 2 months ago
I have been in bondage ever since my ex Husband leave me for another woman, It was really hell for me and everybody told me to forget about him but i could not because i love him so much,I cried and sobbed every day, until it got so bad that I reached out to the Internet for help.And i saw a testimony of a spell caster who help a girl called cynthia get he ex boyfriend back, and i said let me give it a try,but I never believe because i thought all spell caster is fake,so i decided to contact him for help and he cast a love spell for me which i use in getting my Husband back and now i am a happy woman.For what you have done for me,i will not stop to share your goodness to people out there for the good work you are doing.Once again thank you Dr.Ofemo You are truly talented and gifted. If you need his help you can reach him on his email address:xxxx i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. bec #1
wayn willet - 3 months ago
SUPER NATURAL TURN AROUND......WAYN WILLET I remember lying in my room when I was in high school and writing in a journal to my future husband. I’d write all sorts of notes and questions and things I’d wonder or ask this man when I eventually met him. I would wonder where he was and what he was doing and if he was thinking about me too. It has always been such a strong desire in my heart to find a wonderful man to marry, someone who would love me and cherish me and appreciate me for the person I am. I always thought I would get married right out of college, just like my parents, so when that plan didn't work out, I started to get discouraged. A school mate snatched my future husband away from my arms just because she had spiritual powers, all hope was lost to me before i came across the help Prophet kizzekpe{xxxx) who i confided in, i told him my long story and he helped me regain back my lover with his spells which is now my husband today. if you have any proble #2
Timothy - 4 months ago
Hi my name is Timothy and I am about to have court date on the 26th me and my ex girlfriend had a child the mother is 18 and I am 21 She Sind her rights for an a adoption I was just wondering cuz I didn't sine any papers and don't want to give my baby girl away what can I do to get my girl back from the adoptets my name is on the birth certificate and I also want to know if there's any way for a man like me to win a case like this I live in Choctaw Oklahoma and what would happen if I don't win dose that mean I would lose her forever like she gets token from both of us me and the adoptets and be token to another state or something I am just really scared right now I love my lil girl I don't want to lose her #3
mary - 7 months ago
My name is Mary, and I base in CALIFORNIA, USA…My life is back!!! After 5 months of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called DR. Ade which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Marie ,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days,he is the answer to your's his contact:Email on xxxx,OR call his mobile number xxxxx409 #4
mark - 2 years ago
0 0 2
My nephew was born april.11 in texas and my sister in law put him up for adoption with out the consent of my brother is there anyway to get him ba k #5
Jessca Edwards - 7 months ago
Hello My Name is Jessca Edwards from USA, I just want to share my experience with the entire world on how i got my Ex Husband back and saved my marriage, At least i can say to the world that there is a real spell caster on line called Dr. Ofemo i have benefited from the powers fro the Dr. Ofemo because through his help my Ex Husband has been restored back to me and filled with love within 24hours that i contacted Dr.Ofemo i was not having an idea of what to expect but after proper explanation and i followed the instruction that Dr.Ofemo gave and my relationship was reveal back, i guess whosoever that is in need for relationship help or any having any other problem can contact DR.Ofemo you can contact him true this EMAIL ADDRESS: xxxx,or xxxx or you can contact him through his mobile number: xxxxx496 #6
will - 2 years ago
0 0 2
My child was adopted without my consent. The adoptive parent has been brought up on charges for beating this child. Do I have a right to my child whom should of never been adopted. #7
Daniela - 8 months ago
My life is back!!! After 8 years of marriage, my husband left me and left me with our three kids. I felt like my life was about to end, and was falling apart. I contacted Dr. Ogbudu LOVE SPELL and after I explained my problem, In just 3 days my husband came back to us and show me and my kids much love and apologize for all the pain he have bring to the family. We solved our issues, and we are even happier more than ever before Dr. Ogbudu you are the best spell caster. I really appreciate the love spell you cast for me to get the man back to my life i will keep sharing more testimonies to people about your good work. Thank you once again Dr. Ogbudu You can also contact Dr. Ogbudu via email address: xxxx in case you are in any problem you can contact this man for help he is always there in his temple to help you solve your problems Contact him through this email address xxxx OR xxxxx868. #8
mr jackson - 8 months ago
0 0 0
My name is jackson from northern Ireland, i am 30 years old, happily married with three kids named Alex, Jane and Kate, i am here majorly to thank and share my wonderful testimony with the general public about a great and powerful spell caster called Dr odijie who helped me in retrieving back my marriage union with my ex wife. We have been living a marvelous and a luxurious until the day i was fired from the office where i work. As times goes on i started to noticed some changes in the behavior of my wife that she don't cook again in the morning as usual before she go to her shop and also she now come home late at night. So one day she gone to her shop without cooking and not checking the kids and at about 10:00pm in the night she has not shown up and i decided to close the doors and i stayed in the sitting room to wait for her. At about 10:30pm i heard my door bell and i knew it was she and i refuse to open the door, she keep on knocking until a stage that i decided to open it and whe #9
Charles - 3 years ago
2 1 4
If, as the biological father, you were unable to contest (if one was uninformed)and the child has reached adulthood; how can information be gathered and/or released to said? #10
guest 1 - 1 year ago
0 0 1
If the mother wants to keep the child and the father did not can he sign adoption papers letting her have complete custody with him being financially liable? #11
Tracy Jones - 8 months ago
1 0 0
Unimaginable and unbelievable. I am Tracy Jones from the United States and i have a good news to share to the entire world. Do you need your ex husband or lover urgently? I wanna tell you that you need not to worry because i have a good news for those out there that are faced or similar to such situation because there is always a hope and a solution to all problem. There is a great spell caster called Dr Eku who can really solve your problem. Getting my lover back is what i can't imagine but when I was losing Newton, I needed help and somewhere to turn badly but my Aunty told me about this spell caster who also helped her on the internet. I thought it won't work but i just tried to give this man a chance and i ordered a LOVE SPELL. Two days later, my phone rang. Newton was his old self again and wanted to come back to me! Not only come back, the spell caster opened him up to know how much I loved and needed him. This Spell Casting isn’t brainwashing, but he opened up his eyes to know #12
guylene - 8 months ago
1 0 0
One has to be grateful to anyone who done a huge favor in there life, This is the reason why i have taken it upon myself to thank this great spell caster called Dr.Adodo because through his help my life became more filled with love and i am happy to say that my lover who has been separated from me for the past weeks came back to me pleading for acceptance from me, This was a shocking event because before i contacted Dr.Adodo i was the one begging my lover to come back to me but through the assistance of Dr.Adodo i now have my relationship restored. You can also have a better relationship only if you contact Dr.Adodo on xxxx or call xxxxx928 website #13
adams bella - 9 months ago
1 0 0
My name is Adams Bella, i live and work in Oxfordshire, UK. My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all, i almost committed suicide because he left us with nothing, i was emotionally down all this while. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr.Trust of Ultimate spell cast which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I came across several of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and also spell to get a good paid job so on. He is amazing, i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Vera, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped his email.After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I con #14
fabian - 10 months ago
my child was put up for adoption. I month was not aware of it until three later that I had thirty days to contest the adoption. I want my child they offered me. they would have a trust account put in my name for her education if I settled now #15
Sean - 2 years ago
1 4 2
The biological father was married to another woman at time of birth and later did something to the child. If I wanted to adopt the child will the father have any rights? #16
 Adoption Profiles
Sponsored Links